All future articles will be posted in the Blog Carmine and your HVAC
Tankless Water Heaters vs Regular Storage Tank Water Heaters
Programmable Thermostats - The Ongoing Debate
We've heard it often - get a programmable thermostat and for every degree down you'll save 1% on your fuel bill. Technology is great, if you use it. If you have a programmable thermostat you need to go beyond the days and temperatures to take full advantage of any savings. It's also a battle of comfort. There are days when 67 degrees just feels downright cold when its 15 below outside and other days you feel it's too warm. We've all been there. Usng multiple times for temperatures will keep you comfortable when you're home and the cooler temperatures while you're away or sleeping. Here are a few tips to help you out.
- Make sure your thermostat is located out of the sun, far enough away from a heat source; ie. a lamp, and located on the level of your house where you spend most of your time.
- Keep your house coolest during the hours you are sleeping in winter and warmer in the summer. If you go to bed at 10pm you should schedule your thermostat to a cooler temperature at 10:30pm or 11:00, after you've fallen asleep.
- If you wake at 6am set your thermostat to warmer at 5:30am so when you step out of the shower you're not freezing. Set the thermostat to lower the temperature again while you're at work and to warm up by the time you arrive home. This block of time from when you get home til you fall asleep is when your thermostat should be the warmest during winter and the coolest in the summer.
- On the weekends set a time and temperature that fits your lifestyle, If you sleep in and go to bed a little later give yourself that schedule and leave the temperature at your comfort level during your waking time. Adjusting the temperature using the HOLD button on most models only holds that temperature for a period of a few hours and on some only an hour.
- Understand that temperature is variable to what your activity level is, what it's doing outside and what you're doing inside. When you're sitting and watching TV after the sun goes down will feel colder than when the sun was up and you were preparing a meal and it was very sunny outside.
- Not all programmable thermostats are alike. C&C HVAC carries a variety of stats to fit your lifesyle.
If you're interested in reading a recent study regarding energy savings using programable thermostats please click on the link below.
Biomass Fuel as an Efficient Alternative Energy Source?
Boilers and heaters that are fueled by pellets such as hardwood by-products or quick growth grassess has and is becoming a source many a homeowner is looking for to be green despite new movements to ban or limit wood burning due to smell "down winders". Canada is one of the world leaders in pellet products and production. Sweden has surpassed oil for heating with biomass and whose goal to reach 50% of all energy from renewable resources by 2020.
Clean burning of biomass fuels is possible with the gasification process. The gasification process directs the exhaust into a ceramic chamber where flue gases are elevated to 200 degress farenheit and additional energy is transferred. If the venting of any biomass fuel appliance is done correctly and maintained regularly you can meet the new EPA standrds.
Maintenance is key. Annual cleanings and inspections are necessary to maintain the enforcement of product warranties and safety. Proper fuel for biomass must be properly adhered to. Unfortunately, most "wood burning' boilers and other appliances are improperly vented and maintained and are often burning a wood by-product incorrectly causing lower effiencecy and smell.
If you're interested in the debate here is a link for more reading. httP://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/112403994.html
Rainwater? Harvest It!
Using captured rainwater saves water. Every gallon of rainwater reused is one less gallon that comes from your city reservoirs or private well, lowers your utility bill and reduces pollution.This can be simply achieved by a little pvc pipe, filter and barrel to store the water or as expansive as a rainwater collection system using an underound cistern. For more info check out these links.